SERIES
Seven Forms Student Design Showcase: Anisha Joshi
Flashback and forth
flashback and forth
flashback and forth
flashback and forth

Concept Statement

If I sit and think about the meaning of protection, memories and reflection aren’t things that would immediately come to mind. However, after visiting Harriet Bart’s exhibition Abracadabra and Other Forms of Protection, I took a moment to ponder how memorials and reflections, two categories of protection I explored in my garment, can emulate protection. I believe that I have grown as a person and I wanted to take the time to reflect on the past and take a closer look at my journey in this project. During the design process, my initial design changed from a piece on memory preservation to one on self-reflection. In this garment, I want to show everyone how my past shaped the person I am today and how I plan to take that with me in order to become who I want to be.

Anisha inspiration
Inspiration imagery for Anisha's design

The main thing I want to highlight in my garment is the memories I used to make it. At the top of the garment, the memories are clear and in focus but it fades and distorts as the eye follows the garment down as it fades at the edges. I pay homage to my heritage as a Nepalese woman by taking inspiration for the silhouette from traditional Nepali men’s clothing and then building off of it from there. For my material, I made the base of my garment out of window screens to which I then applied prints of my memories using Mod Podge. To unify the pictures I made them gray and pixelated them in different amounts and printed them out on paper. Then I cut and ripped the paper before gluing it to the screen to give it a more organic look. I also placed a red scarf around the neck of my garment as a small reference to Nepal, where red is a happy color. I added it as a way to symbolize my hope for happiness and a better future.

—Anisha Joshi

Read the other Seven Forms Student Design Showcase profiles >>
Learn more about Harriet Bart: Abracadabra and Other Forms of Protection >>

About the Design Showcase: During the spring 2020 semester, 10 emerging student designers were tasked with creating a one-of-a-kind garment using non-traditional materials and technology inspired by the exhibition Harriet Bart: Abracadabra and Other Forms of Protection.

After eight weeks of material testing, sketching in the galleries, writing, and work-shopping their designs with local artisans Marina Shimelfarb, Charlie Wagner, and the artist herself, Harriet Bart, the final designs are nothing short of radical, innovative, and deeply personal.

The Seven Forms Student Design Showcase is presented in partnership with the UMN College of Design, Department of Theatre Arts and Dance and Juut Salon Spa.