Think you missed your chance to submit to the annual Artwords contest? Think again! ArtWords is accepting submissions through January 31st! Submit to z.umn.edu/artwords18 Are you a creative writer and an art enthusiast? The WAM Collective and The Tower encourage you to submit to ArtWords! ArtWords is an annual writing contest for University of Minnesota students. Students select an artwork on display in the Weisman Art Museum’s permanent collection and write a short creative piece of poetry or prose inspired…
ArtWords is an annual writing competition held by the Weisman Art Museum in collaboration with The Tower, the University of Minnesota’s Art and Literary Magazine.
How to Enter:
- Visit the Weisman’s galleries in person or virtually
- Select an eligible piece of art from the list
- Write a piece of poetry or prose (maximum word count: 300) that is in some way a creative reflection or a response (not art criticism) to the artwork.
Open to only to undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Minnesota—Twin Cities campus.
Please follow the instructions below — submissions that do not will be disqualified.
Submissions should be anonymous; your name should not appear on the submission anywhere. Submissions should be previously unpublished anywhere, including on your own social media.
On the submitted document:
- Do not include your name; write only your student ID in the top left corner.
- Indicate the complete and accurate title of the artwork and artist
- Provide a title for your written work
In your cover note:
- Include your university email address.
- Confirm you are an undergraduate student enrolled at the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus.
Monday, February 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
First, second, and third place winners are selected. Winners will receive gift cards (First Place: $75; Second: $50; Third: $25). Winners will be published in The Tower Spring 2021 print and online issues. Judges include representatives from the Weisman, The Tower, and our local literary community.
If you have additional questions, please contact Jim Cihlar, The Tower, at firstname.lastname@example.org