BEHIND THE SCENES
WAM Student Staff Profile: Sage Caballero
A polaroid animation of Sage Caballero with a WAM gallery visible in the background and abstract colorful shapes

Sage Caballero (he/they) is a senior majoring in psychology, with minors in art history, and gender, women & sexuality studies. Sage is particularly interested in how all these subjects intersect within museums. They hope to work to create a more accessible museum space in the future. They are a researcher and musician and love experiencing new things and cultures. In their free time, you can find Sage biking through the cities, playing guitar, or climbing a rock wall.

Q: You’ve been involved with the museum your entire college career, what drew you to WAM and how did you first get involved?

I actually had no interest in working at a museum when I came to college, I had seen art as more of a fun hobby, but the world pushed me in a different direction. I talked to some folks who were tabling for WAM during welcome week. Since I had interned at the art museum in my hometown, I thought why not get involved here? I joined the WAM Collective and it just became such a huge part of my life. Anytime I considered leaving the Collective, it didn’t feel right—I had a community at WAM. Eventually the museum became a second home, I became a gallery host, and then the education assistant, and I can’t imagine it any other way.

Q: Accessibility is a topic more widely talked about in recent years. What do you want folks to know about making museums more accessible? What do you wish was talked about more?

I think if I can make an impact on anyone’s museum experience it would be to ask questions. Ask questions like an annoying child; why do they have this art? Who decided where to put it? Who is it for? Why is it at this museum? Who wrote the labels? Why do they get to write them? When it comes to accessibility, the question becomes how does this space alienate people and limit their accessibility? Any talk about accessibility in museums is great in my eyes, because it largely goes ignored. I’m particularly invested in accessibility spanning out across all museum departments, considered along every step of the way. It’s a lot harder to retroactively make exhibitions accessible when they’re already strictly planned out. I’d much rather see artists, buyers, curators, preparators, etc. all considering who they might be leaving out from the start.

Q: You are a busy person with a lot on your plate! I know you love to bike and rock climb, what are some of your favorite spots around the Twin Cities?

The only places coming to mind are all very food-based, so I guess that tells you where my priorities are! I love Hard Times Cafe and Bordertown which are both close to campus and have lovely coffee. Outside of food options, I tend to enjoy biking along the river for as long as my legs or the sun will let me. I found a lot of my favorite spots around town by doing this, especially when I first moved here.

Q: Advice for students who want to get involved with WAM?

Come to our programs! Stop by and talk to the people there. We’re always excited to talk to people coming in, and we will not hesitate to let you know of any opportunities to get involved. If you don’t know where to start, or are nervous to talk to strangers, the Riverview Gallery is a wonderful place to study. Start out there, and I hope to see you in the galleries.

Q: Anything else you want to add?

Museums can be super intimidating, but I promise they’re also super fun. Go to a museum, be yourself, and have fun!