Reports to: Director of Marketing and Communications
Hourly Pay: $15.00/hr (10 – 15 hours per week)
Organization Summary: Since its origin in 1934, the Weisman Art Museum (WAM) has been a teaching museum for the University of Minnesota. Today, education remains central to the museum’s mission to make the arts accessible – intellectually, emotionally, and physically – to the University and public communities.
Job Description: Interns are part of a nimble, tight-knit communications team at WAM. You’ll work closely with the Weisman’s Communications Director and Communications Associate, and gain hands-on experience using rich media, strong visuals, and snappy writing to share engaging stories about the art and artists of this multiplatform museum. A key part of this job involves generating content for WAM’s social media platforms. Successful candidates will have demonstrated social media experience. Facility with scheduling platforms, like Later.com, and various social media analytics tools is also helpful. Candidates must be able to think strategically, and then be willing and able to help implement those strategies. We’re looking for an intern who’s energized by collaboration but also capable of independent task management, with the initiative to see projects through once the objectives are clear. Your work assists in developing the museum’s online presence, supports publicity initiatives, and increases the overall visibility of the Weisman Art Museum. Each intern leaves with a comprehensive portfolio. We’re eager to work with interns to determine their specific educational and professional goals, and to help ensure their tenure at WAM supports them on that path.
Responsibilities – the key responsibilities for this position include:
- Assist in creating a social media strategy to increase visibility of museum exhibitions, programs, and retail offerings, membership opportunities; you’ll help strategize ways to improve engagement with museum promotions, social media, and website content
- Assist in monitoring and scheduling content for Weisman and WAM Shop social media channels (TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook)
- Collaborate with WAM Student Digital Content Team and WAM Collective to experiment with new and alternative ways to leverage social media activities to deepen engagement with both University communities and local audiences
- Monitor trends in social media tools and make recommendations for WAM
- Collect data and help track the impact of social media content on the overall marketing efforts; report stats monthly on WAM dashboard and help refine digital content strategy accordingly
- Create illustrations, GIFs and/or videos for distribution on social media channels
- Assist with photography of WAM Shop products, museum photo shoots, and social media coverage during events
- Administrative support and various office tasks, as needed
Experience & Skills Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of social media platforms and analytics tools
- A keen eye for compelling visual content
- Social media management for a club, organization, or business is a plus
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud is a plus
- Digital photography skills are a plus
Do you have other skills to offer that you think would be important for this role? We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Not sure if you’re qualified for this position? Get in touch with Susannah Schouweiler at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you might have about the application process.
Application Deadline: Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply: To apply, please complete the application on the UMN Student Job Board (Job ID: 338988).