Simple
Unbaked cookies on a sheet

Earlier this week, as I was babysitting a 7 year old and an 8 year old, I thought it would be fun to do a little baking. I was looking through recipes and could not get over how many ingredients were included in each one. I think it is important to take a step back sometimes, use fewer materials, and gain a better understanding of each ingredient.

I found a recipe that intrigued me and immediately made me think about WAM's current exhibition: Clouds, Temporarily Visible. Clouds are simply made of many tiny gas particles. Simply water vapor. These cookies are also incredibly simple. Such beautiful and eccentric treasures with so few elements.

The kids were ecstatic about baking something so easy and delicious. This sweet treat is the perfect reminder that sometimes, less is more.

ingredients and baking implements on a wood counter

Recipe

2 Organic Bananas (mashed)
1.5 Cups of Shredded Coconut
Dairy Free Chocolate chips
Nuts of Choice

1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. Mash bananas into the bottom of the bowl. On top of the banana, add coconut and stir it all together. Next, stir in chocolate chips.

2. I scooped about two tablespoons of batter onto the baking sheet for each cookie, evenly spaced, and baked them for 15 minutes.

3. Then we let the cookies cool and indulged with a glass of vanilla almond milk!

Baked goods on a plate with some yellow tulips

I challenge you to get through your classes and everyday life as a college student, and just stop to think about something simple: the clouds at WAM or in the sky, or a nice indulgent cookie. Don’t over complicate things. Keep it simple, especially with the end of the semester approaching so very quickly.

Visit WAM this weekend for Slow Art Day, take a walk and do some cloud spotting, and then, if you have time, bake some simple cookies!